This assignment requires you to use a mixed integer program to solve a network design problem.
- Refer to the “Hands on Excel” discussion on pages 53–56 of the textbook.
- Download the MIP 9 City Example Excel file from the assignment resources and open it in Excel.
- Ensure that Solver has been enabled on your PC. This may require you to turn Solver on in the “Add-Ins” area of Excel. For instructions on how to do this, you can go to the Office Support page and do a search for “Excel Solver Add-in.”
- Develop an answer to question 6 on page 61. In addition, solve the model with four locations.
- Develop a 2- to 3-page document that includes:
- Quantitative answers to the questions raised in the text.
- Explanations of what these solutions mean in business terms.
- An explanation of the managerial implications to your solutions.
- Answers to the following questions:
- Consider the change in total distance as you move from two, to three, to four locations. How significant an improvement does the firm achieve in each step?
- What change to your results do you see in parts C and D of question 6?
- What service level impacts do you foresee as you move from two, to three, to four locations?
As you complete your assignment, be sure your paper meets the following guidelines:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: All resources and citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length: 2–3 typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font size and type: 10-point Arial