Step 1 Research the 2008 presidential debate.
Using Internet resources, research script or video materials from the final 2008 presidential debate between Barack Obama and John McCain. The debate took place on October 15, 2008, and was hosted by Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY. Watch the entire debate, and pay close attention to the argument forms and support provided by the speakers.
Step 2 In your original post, analyze the debate and address the following questions relating to the dialogue.
- What arguments were given for the speakers’ views?
- Were there any formal or informal fallacies?
- Were the claims made based in reasonable evidence?
- Which view did you find the most persuasive? Why?
Step 3 Read and respond to two other students’ posts by Friday 11:59pm MT.
Read other students’ posts and respond to at least two of them. In addition to other comments you may have, address the following questions in your response posts:
- Did the speakers use fact, testimony, or personal opinions? Were these tactics effective?
- Which tactic would have been more effective? Why?
Use any personal experience if appropriate to help support or debate other students’ posts. If differences of opinion occur, debate the issues professionally and provide examples to support your opinions.