CO10: Define the ethical environment that is applicable to the business world.
During our discussions and your readings in this course, you have reviewed several legal and ethical issues that affect business practices and business decisions. The business environment, for even the sole proprietor and small company, can be complex. For this Discussion, reflect on the readings, discussions and issues we have covered. For your first Discussion post this week, consider the following and respond.
One ethicist in the field of business ethics states, “Business ethics should be grounded in deontology more than utilitarianism.”
- What does this mean?
- Reflect on the definitions and application of these two distinct ethical frameworks.
- Why do you think this expert proposes this view?
- Consider the case studies you have read.
- Think how you would make critical decisions.
- Do you you agree or disagree with this statement? Explain.
- Feel free to add another ethical perspective to the discussion.
In responding to each other in this discussion, do not hesitate to ask questions and (respectfully) challenge each other’s thinking.
I look forward to your thoughts.